Sometimes I just get a craving for something specific, and last week it just happened to be chicken tortilla soup. I suggested that the fam run to a local restaurant to satisfy my hunger, but after some research and facing a huge ding to my daily WW points I decided to go with the healthier homemade option instead.
My sister made a similar soup when she was on Weight Watchers a couple of years ago, but neither of us bothered to write down the recipe. When I called her for the ingredients, it took both of us to remember what actually went into this hearty dish. Apparently, our memories are pretty sharp, because the batch I whipped up for dinner (and a couple of lunch leftovers for myself) was very tasty! With this warm soup in my belly and the ingredients listed on my blackboard wall, I thought I should share this recipe so I don’t have to call my sister again and listen to her sigh on the other end of the line. Love ya, sis! Enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can (small) tomato sauce
- 1 small can whole corn
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- Tortilla Strips optional
- Fat-Free Cheddar Cheese optional
- Cook the chicken breasts, cool and shred into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large pot, dump the chicken and all remaining ingredients, except tortilla strips and cheese.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- If the soup is not juicy enough for your liking, add more water a little at a time.
- Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 30 - 60 minutes.
- Serve hot with optional garnish of tortilla strips and cheese.