Today was the last full day of summer for this crazy year, and we have been enjoying the final fruits (or vegetables as it were) of our petite backyard garden. One of my favorite fresh summertime meals is a tomato and cucumber salad. Usually I just throw in a bit of this and a dash of that and call it good, but this time I wrote it down just so I could share the recipe with my readers, and of course, save it for myself. You should know that I only post recipes that I really think are yummy and I do reference my own blog regularly. It has become a quick and easy way for me to locate some of my favorite dishes.
I will tell you that I made two similar salads with my homegrown veggies (and added cukes from the local orchard), because I just couldn’t decide which type of oil to use. I love the flavor of balsamic vinegar, but I think I prefer the lighter tasting red wine vinegar for this particular dish. . . but I don’t think you can go wrong with either one.
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar optional alternative -- balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion
- Cut up tomatoes and cukes into bite size cubes.
- Cut onion into thin rings and separate.
- Put all the cut vegetables into a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and gently stir to coat everything.
- Cover the salad and refrigerate until ready to serve.