It feels like fall is in the air, and I can hardly wait for this favorite time of year. I love the cooler temps, the changing leaves, the clothes, football and pumpkin spice. But before I put summer completely in the books, I wanted to share one last warm-weather recipe courtesy of my Aunt Eyvon in Blue Jay Hollow.
While we were visiting Arkansas this summer, my Auntie E brought over a cool pea salad that was completely addictive and insanely easy to make. Last week while I was grocery shopping I suddenly had a hankerin’ for the yummy green stuff so I gave her a call in the middle of the aisle and asked her to hand over the recipe right then and there (yup, as easy as I remember). Needless to say, I whipped up a batch of this tasty pea salad as soon as I put away my groceries and I didn’t share a single bite with my boys (they don’t like peas), so it was a win-win for me, baby!
So here’s the recipe for this tasty cold salad; and although it seems like a summer dish, don’t think for a minute that I won’t be making another batch well into October.
- 1 small bag of frozen peas
- 1/4 c. of mayo
- 1/4 c. chopped white onion
- 1/2 bag of prepared bacon pieces (or equivalent crumbled cooked bacon slices)
- 2 dashes of salt
- 6-10 dashes of black pepper, according to taste
- Thaw the peas and pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the mayo, chopped onion, bacon pieces, salt and pepper to the peas.
- Stir gently but thoroughly until everything is coated.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Warning: this dish is highly addictive. :)